Law Students Serving the Public
“By being part of Pro Bono Students Canada, you are part of one of the most visionary undertakings I’ve seen in 40 years at the bar.” – Justice Rosalie Abella, Supreme Court of Canada
To provide access to justice through participation in projects that support communities who face barriers to legal services.
To support our community by assisting partner organizations reach their objectives from a legal perspective.
To train future lawyers by providing practical, supervised learning experiences for students and promoting pro bono within the legal profession.
Pro Bono in Numbers
Pro bono hours contributed
of student volunteers report that they plan on offering pro bono services upon graduation
Projects NationallyProjects Nationally
Some UNB-PBSC Chapter Highlights
- 2020-21: the Trans ID Clinic expanded to all Atlantic provinces
- 2021-22: 13 Partner Organizations and 20 Pro Bono Projects offered
- 2021-22: UNB-PBSC launched their first project addressing the important issue of reproductive justice in Atlantic Canada
“Being able to experience this “real-world” legal education in conjunction with starting my own formal legal education allowed me to develop a more holistic understanding of the law“
“I have gained invaluable legal research and time management skills, and have been coaxed out of my comfort zone by participating in meetings and giving presentations.“
“Volunteering with PBSC was one of my favourite law school experiences & I wish I had started in 1L instead of 2L.”
- Fredericton Homeless SheltersOrganization The Fredericton Homeless Shelters Inc. provides safe, stable, temporary refuge for individuals experiencing homelessness. We foster a caring and respectful environment that promotes dignity and self-determination. Projects Students will prepare a plain language public legal education presentation onContinue reading “Fredericton Homeless Shelters”
- SPCA NBOrganization The mission of the NB SPCA is to provide province-wide leadership in humane treatment of animals, enforcement of relevant legislation, public education and advocacy, and to ensure that shelter is provided for neglected or abused animals. Project The studentContinue reading “SPCA NB”
- Autism Society of PEIOrganization The organization provides information and support to family members, professionals, and individuals affected by Autism, encourages, supports, promotes and advocates for quality education, treatment, services and equipment for persons, and their families, affected by Autism, raises public awareness about Autism Spectrum Disorders andContinue reading “Autism Society of PEI”